Monday, April 30, 2012

An Aluminum Dog Ramp for Large Breed Dogs

English Mastiff Dog with the Aluminum Dog Ramp
As most of you know I have been shopping for a solid dog ramp that would work for my small English Mastiff dog. Yes, a small Mastiff. At 140 pounds, my 4 year old mastiff is considered small for the breed. She was the runt of the litter.

Anyway, the local Petsmart and Petco stores had several plastic ramps rated at 200+ pounds.  I tried a few of these, but ended up returning them.  It would only be a matter of weeks after purchase and the plastic would start to bend or bow.  The new ramp is aluminum.  Very nice.  The bad news is... I can't tell you where to get it.  I have no clue.  My brother came across it somewhere used.  It has no name or marking on it of any kind. No numbers, nothing!

I like it because it is a single fold, instead of a bi-fold.  Let's face it, hinges are weak points. There is no sense in having twice as many weak points as we need.  This ramp is longer than most, fold to fit easily across my tailgate, is solid for the dog to walk on, and has rubber on top for traction.  Perfect!

Here is a close up of the hinge.  You can see how solid it is built and how nicely it is welded.  The dog actually likes to use it.

Hinge on Aluminum Dog Ramp

No comments:

Post a Comment